Saturday, February 16, 2013

Week 8 of Run/Walk program

Today I ran 1.7-ish miles in 21:31. I didn't have a lot of time which is why my run was short, but I am really proud and pleasantly surprised that I managed to pull off a run, especially because I am currently out of town. My average speed comes out to 12:31/mi which is lower than my usual (though I bet that if I'd kept going I would have slowed waaay down to bring the average to around normal).

I've been run/walking pretty consistently for about 8 weeks now and I have come pretty darn far considering (Which really says a lot about where I started haha...) I was just thinking this morning how much I had to struggle to do 1 min intervals back in December! I am now running 5 minutes at a time with a 1 minute walking break. I actually did a 6 minute interval today so I could finish off the first mile. I'm planning on adding a minute to the run interval every week until I get to 10 minutes. Then I think I'm going to start working on my speed so I can finally achieve a 10 minute mile. But that's still five weeks away.

My long(er) term running goals -

1) Run 10 minute intervals comfortably. (soon!)
2) Run a 10 minute mile.
3) Run 3 miles in 30 minutes without a break.

After that, then I'll get to set some new goals!

I've actually been trying to convince some friends to join me in a 5K next month as extra motivation. It was actually participating in a 5K that got me interested in the idea of trying a run/walk program in the first place so it'd be fun to revisit that experience! So far, no luck. I have some very, very athletic friends (the kind that think nothing of biking 8 miles to a hot yoga studio in the morning and then doing Crossfit in the evening) and apparently some couch-potato-y friends (I guess I was in that category haha). Neither group wants to do a dinky (or way too hard) 5K...

I'm sneezing a little excessively right now so I am going to head to bed with a cup of tea to see if I can stave off these allergies (hopefully not a cold!). Tomorrow is my 3 mile run!


No comments:

Post a Comment